Friday 19 February 2016

What I love about Parkrun


 
Have you heard about Parkrun? It's a free-for-all 5km timed race organised by volunteers every weekend in parks worldwide. There are already many articles written about and prising Parkrun, so I won't go there, but if this idea is new to you, story of the event can be checked out on the official website www.parkrun.com. From there you will be able to find Parkrun in your country and area :)
Here's what Parkrun Founders say about it's beginnings themselves:
 

We had an idea. We ran with it.

parkrun started back in 2004 when 13 runners got together on a blustery day in Bushy Park, Teddington, UK. We’re now an international family of over half a million runners (and counting).
 

Popularity of Parkrun Ireland grows every day which attracts sponsors and publicity. This year we got those lovely new banners (above), brand new HiViz vests for Volunteers
 
Parkrun is probably the most regular of my running routines. I go ever Saturday as much as possible. I'm blessed to have Poppintree parkrun just around the corner.
My first Parkrun however was in Malahide - which by the way 1st Parkrun established in Ireland - but it was a bit far out for me and slightly overcrowded. The settings are beautiful though, you run on the Malahide Castle grounds with other 500+ Parkrunners and go for coffee afterwards to Avoca Café who are doing deals coffee + today's paper for about €4. That day I finished 390th of of 500 odd runners in the field with time 00:30:30 which was a good start. Currently, I'm struggling to beat my PB from November which is 00:24:05. I've come a long way in those couple of months!
 
On the way back from Parkrun last summer - still red on our faces!
Poppintree Parkrun is much more... exclusive ;) When I first joined, there was approximately 50-60 of us which suited me better. It just means you get a more personal experience, after a couple of weeks you get to know other runners and organisers very well. It helps building up a sense of community which in turn gives motivation for turning up every week! Benefits all round :)
You see lots of people taking it seriously, fighting for new PBs every week (including me :D) but there are a lot of joggers and walkers. People with buggies and dog walkers - it's great having everyone there!

 
Ready - Set - GO!
119 parkrunners turned up on that cold, gloomy morning!
Our Parkrun family nearly doubled in January 2016 thanks to Operation Transformation initiative promoted by one of Irish Television Channels - let's hope this is more than a result of New Years Resolution Fad and that the momentum of growth continues throughout the year. After all, the sense of belonging is quite contagious in Poppintree Park ;) I only joined because I needed a timed 5km run to qualify for VHI Women's Mini Marathon and here I am a year later!

Poppintree Park in Autumn

 
We have some great facilities in the park. There's a playground, football pitch and even a pond! The actual course of the race is 3 x 1 mile laps around the pond. The fact that it's 3 laps is handy for pacing yourself. That and the fact that you get to pass volunteers three times on your run and they power you with their cheering :)
 
 
One of my latest Parkruns as a volunteer - Timekeeper
Once in a while, it's everybody's turn to volunteer. After all, volunteering is the main engine of the event! This means giving up one in every 6 or 7 runs to see the race 'from the other side'. That itself is a great experience or just an excuse to turn up when you're recovering from an injury or feeling under the weather. It also gives you a different perspective and appreciation for those who give up their runs to make it possible for others.

My First Parkrun as a Volunteer - Marshal
So far I've volunteered on three different stations: Marshal, Time Keeper and Finishing Tokens. Of these three, I must say that I enjoyed giving away finishing tokens the most. I like giving people the finishing barcodes and congratulating on a job well done. I'm weird like that ;)


I find Parkrun to be a great event for people of all ages and fitness levels. 5Km is still the same distance whether you do it on 17 minutes or 47 minutes :) I can only recommend it to anyone and everyone.
And that's what I call a great start of a weekend - feeling accomplished at 10am in the morning :)

No comments:

Post a Comment